Thessaloniki

Near Here

Greece Thessaloniki Central Macedonia white tower

Thessaloniki

White Tower

The White Tower, the symbol of Thessaloniki, and a point of reference for the inhabitants and the visitors to the city, is the remnant of the sea walls that were demolished in 1873.

Thessaloniki

Church of Nea Panagia

The church of Nea Panagia (New Virgin Mary) at the junction of Demetriou Gounari and Mitropoleos streets, earlier known as the church of Megali or Trani Panagia (Great or Powerful Virgin Mary), is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin

Greece Thessaloniki Central Macedonia thessaloniki history centre

Thessaloniki

Thessaloniki History Centre

The modern Thessaloniki History Centre building at the beginning of Ippodromiou Street.

Greece Thessaloniki Macedonia navarinou square

Thessaloniki

Navarinou square

Navarino Square, next to the Octagon with its characteristic fountain, is full of café bars and tavernas. The Gounari walkway is a favourite haunt of the Thessaloniki student community. From Egnatia St. down to Tsimiski St.

Greece Thessaloniki Central Macedonia palatial complex galerius

Thessaloniki

Palatial complex of Galerius

The palace of Galerius Maximus in Navarinou Square was the administrative and religious centre of Roman Thessaloniki.

Greece Thessaloniki Central Macedonia ymca park

Thessaloniki

YMCA Park

The ‘Hanth’ park in front of the YMCA building is the largest oasis of grass and trees in the city centre. On hot summer days it is crowded with people enjoying the coolness of an outdoor café.

Thessaloniki

Church of Agios Antonios

The church of Agios Antonios is a small two-aisled church. On the eastern side, we can see part of a triangular tower of the Byzantine city walls, that was demolished in 1873.

Greece Thessaloniki Central Macedonia statue alexander great

Thessaloniki

Statue of Alexander the Great

The brassbound statue of Alexander the Great is considered to be the highest sculpture of Greece (height 6,15m). It was created by the sculptor Evaggelos Moustakas (1974).