The best picture for anyone who comes for the first time in Corfu is from the ship which, as if deliberately, comes in a slow pace to give you the opportunity to take a good look of the great medie
Pella, the birth land of Alexander the Great
When in 356 b.C. Alexander saw the light of life, Pella was the glorious capital city of Macedonia, the political center of all Greeks and also their spiritual and cultural metropolis.Back then, it was a seaside city stretching along Thermaikos bay. As time passed, however, rivers were backfilled, the sea was closed, and extensive swamps were created; these later turned into the lake of Giannitsa which was drained during the first decades of the 20th century.
The royal child was born in the purple chambers of the lavish palace built by king Archelaos on the slope of the hill and painted by Zeuxis, the greatest painter of antiquity. It occupied an area of 60.000 m2 including buildings, porticos, columned yards, pools and altars and had a breathtaking view to the plain, the sea and the Macedonian mountains.
Pella was a city built in accordance with the hippodamean plan, with blocks separated by wide horizontal and vertical streets. The centre of the city was occupied by the Agora, a huge square surrounded by porticos and Doric columns –the heart of the commercial, social and artistic life of the city, filled with shops, public buildings, temples and statues.
Among the city building blocks, there were large private houses of exceptional aesthetics, with inner peristyle yards, a square portico with Ionic columns. Both the yards and the men’s rooms were decorated with floor mosaics usually illustrating geometric patterns or representations drawing upon mythology and other topics. Two of these houses were named after the mosaics found on their floors, that of Dionysus riding a panther, with restored columns and that of Helen’s abduction by Theseus. They date back to the last quarter of the 4th century b.C. (325-300 b.C.), a few years after the death of Alexander, and still attract admiration for their artistic force and aesthetic completeness.
For two of these outstanding mosaics which represent hunting scenes, many scholars believe that one of the two hunters is Alexander. Especially the mosaic with the lion hunting means to represent the hunting of a lion at Granicus river, where Alexander was saved by the ferocious animal with the help of his friend Krateros. However, hunting, was typically the main pastime of Alexander, Macedonian kings and noblemen and it is therefore often depicted in numerous paintings of that period.
According to historical records and the trend of that period, Alexander and his friends used to hunt wild animals in the forests of the Pierian range and Vermion, filled with prey for the Macedonian aristocracy.
Pella was built in the Hippodameion system, with wide vertical and horizontal streets, creating building blocks.
Cold and hot waters run together in Pozar.
Agios Athanasios is a traditional hamlet that developed over the last few years, thanks to the neighbouring skiing resort of Mt.
What to see
Agios Athanasios is a traditional hamlet that developed over the last few years, thanks to the neighbouring skiing resort of Mt. Voras (also known as Mt. Kaimaktsalan). It was built at an altitude of 1200 m.
In Loutraki (Pozar), the bath city of Pella, west of Aridea, there is an exceptionally beautiful site with healing springs, noteworthy caves, the lush deep ravine of the Thermopotamos River and the beautiful mountainous scenery with fore
Varossi is Edessa’s traditional neighbourhood, which developed during the years of Ottoman rule, as a continuation of the Byzantine city.
The ancient city of Edessa spread over the lush plain of Longos, below the rock with the waterfalls, where its acropolis stood.
The lake Vegoritis, on the border of the prefectures of Pella and Florina, is the second largest lake in the country and it is situated at an altitude of 600m; the tranquility and the unique beauty of the scenery are impressive.
The small temple of the Saints Peter and Paul is a three-aisled basilica with murals that date to 1370-1380. It was restored in 1856, but the church was more than likely built in the mid-Byzantine period.
There are no available locations such close!