Petralona Cave

view on the map

The Petralona cave is located 800m from the village of Petralona, at the foot of Mount Katsika. It was discovered in 1959 by villagers looking for water, and it was named “Red stones” cave, because the clay soil colours its stalagmite and stalactite formations.
The “Grand sale” of the cave and the “Fir Trees Chamber” are dominated by massive stalagmites, while in the “Corridor of dwarf stalagmites” small thorny stalagmites, only a few centimetres tall (thus the name “dwarf), decorate the cave. In the “Roots chamber”, thin holm oak roots, penetrating the cave through the soil, form a net that covers the stalactites. The most impressive “ornament” is the “golden rain”, very thin stalactites like raindrops.
The cave has an average temperature of 16 degrees Celsius throughout the year. It is open to the public, and the tourist route that has been developed reaches a length of 2 km. Models of early hominids have been placed in its chambers, to allude to the Middle Palaeolithic Age.

There are no available locations such close!